C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:46:34 EDT
You may use my name Kendall.

As to the don't care and stuff.... Here are a few things I think you missed
in the tone of what I wrote.

I wanted my child.... I know know about the pill and was 27 years old... she
was planed.... not the question.
The doctors NEVER mentioned that they could and would 'save' her.  I thought
they were doing a DNC to save my life.  I told my mother we would have to try
again next year for a baby... and told her on the phone because they had told
my family I was being watch and the doctors would do nothing right away... but
then 1 hours later they said off to the OR.

I have had disabilied friends all my life... blind, deaf, no legs and  my
mother had a stroke 14 years before the birth of my daughter.  My mother and I
had many talks about my mother stroke risk and quality of life issues.  My
family beleives in no tube or machine to extend life.  Laying in a bed and looking
at the ceiling is not life to us.... just us.  We make no choices for other.
I am just saying that prople should be the one to make choices for thier selfs
and families.

I was never ask about putting my child on a ventilator, on experimental
equipment, on giving her blood, or doing a spinal tap.  The doctors she had when
she was first born only wanted the money.  They said when they were done "take
her home or give her to the state".  They did not care what kind of life she
would have.She has CP, mental delays, and a feeding tube.

I care very much for her.  When we changed hospitals and were finally told
her mostlikely outcome... they said she would die a slow death.  She would
suffocate over a few days and would casp for her last few breaths.  They said she
would only know tubes and needles to keep her alive.  Hoe could ANY human with
a soul WISH that on another human.  I as a mother could not.
BUT we have betten the odds.... we got her home...on a ventilator until she
was 2 years old.  Now she is 12 and has CP...and is mental delayed... NO it is
not the end of the world and yes I love her.  BUT who will take care of her
when I am gone?  Who will change her diaper like it should be, who will give her
a bath ever day, who will brush her hair, who will clip her nails.  Will she
be one of those un-lucky ones in a care home that gets raped or hurt on a
regular basis?  Remember the news coverd a story a few months back where some man
had raped up to 40 women in homes.  I do not want this for my child.  I will
not kill her nor let her get sick... she has done better they thought she would
do because of us (her family) and our hard work.  But I am an only child...
so when I am gone and my dad is gone she will have to be in a home.

 I know of kids that are 3 and 4 years old and have never left the hospital
nor been off of machines... this can be the life of some premature infants.  To
me this is just doctor greed.... not saving a life.  If you believe if
GOD.... he deicded the life was to end but then man or the devil in man made people
intervein and 'save' these kids.

If it was your older family member...they had a massive stroke and would
never walk, talk, of leave the hospital again.... would you tell the doctors to
put them on machines and tubes?  I have a living will not to be on machines and
tube.. for myself but was not ask for my child.

I love her and take good care of her..... but I wish someone had ask before
shoving machines in her.
Kristina