C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Norris Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:20:17 -0800
thank you deri
thats what i'm talking about
and americans have always put a bull eyes on many african american men
why is that 65 % residence of the american penial system are african american  men
that is not by coinsidense....
micheal jackson maybe guilty but most of america has him tried and convicted already.
guilty until tried.. this is so unfair and to make jokes about it shows me the insensitivity of certain people in this country.
just like the o.j. simpson trail almost everybody had him gulity too (which i think he either did it or knows who did it)
this nation better wake up and start treating everybody on equal basis

THE RACE and DISABILITY GAP

This gap starts right at the moment of birth.

Disabled African Americans, Disabled Asian Americans, and Disabled Latino Americans were already one step behind their white disabled brothers and sisters.

Hospital doctors use to only give information to help parents of white disabled children. In the early 1960’s through the middle 1980’s parents were given the names of agencies that could and would be of assistance to them. Minorities’ families never received this information.

Black families, Asian families, and Latino families had to search for the same information on their own. This is what my parents had to do. A lot of disabled minorities did not have the advantage that I acquired with two educated teaching parents. My parents search for agencies to help me. They traveled from New Jersey to North Carolina looking for doctors and hospitals for me.

Most families of disabled children knew nothing about these agencies and most were too afraid to ask about the services. (UCP)United Cerebral Palsy, (MDA) Muscular Dystrophy Association, Multiple Sclerosis Association, Easter Seals of America, The Federation of Blind and The United Way. The list goes on and on. Thus, many Minority Disabled children went through many years of not getting the correct services. Falling father behind their white disabled counterparts. Minorities had to manage on their own, again the complete reflection of the times in America. Most minority families did very well improvising for the needs of their disabled child.

For example families building there own ramps, building lapboards for communication, making their child’s room accessible, or building there own wheelchairs for transportation. It was so amazing to see what these families did for their disabled child.

These agencies for the disabled in the late fifties and early sixties were white-based and white-founded. The administration and staff were white so how could they understand the needs of minority children? No, they may not have been racist, but they may have been very insensitive to the needs and goals of these children. The survival of minority disabled children rested in the hands of parents and educators. These individuals would be the gateway to their outside world. Ladies and Gents, it’s the turn of the millenium, and the situation has improved very little. Federal and state laws are now on the side of minority disabled families but it still takes very assertive parents to achieve the disabled child’s goals.

10-15% of disabled black men are employed, only getting part-time jobs. Why ? The figures for white disabled males are at 60-65% but there are almost four times the number of minority disabled in America.

Young Black, Asian, and Latino males getting shot by gangs, drug incidents, and poor prenatal care by their parents. This should not be happening in this day of modern medicine.

Only 13.4% of minority disabled men and only 1.6% of black disabled males ever finish college while their white counterparts have a high of 90%. Asian disabled women make up the bulk of the 13.4% graduating rate. Again it’s the reflection of the state of affairs in the Disabled Community. We have to change this state of affairs in this small community, for we are only going to have younger minority disabled in this country and they must be a productive part of this society. This should be the goal of Independent Living Centers all over America

Minority disabled children and their parents must learn the art of networking like our white disabled brothers and sisters have done in the mid-sixties and early seventies.

The current Independent Living Projects are not doing their jobs. Helping the minority-disabled youth should be their top piroity. Their (I.L.P.) stated job of training all disabled people. I.L.P.’s are still picking and choosing their clients, which still do not include disabled people of color, thus the American system continues discrimination against the most helpless in this country, disabled minority children. Disabled minority males and females need the skills to acquire jobs. This attitude must changes, for the disabled population curve will continue to expand in minority communities.

Most of this nations I.L.P.’s administration are still basically white. Most of these programs need an infusion of Blacks, Latinos, and Asians to lead the new disabled movement into the next millennium. The movement will fade away just like the Woman’s Movement and the Civil Rights Movement. The Woman’s movement waiting until the 1980’s to include woman of color it was too late. The Civil Rights movement with the lack of political and economic power faded into history. All of these movements failed to meet the needs of the disabled community. We were the forgotten Americans

Disabled Americans have to create a new political disabled force with color, like the one that thrimphed the white disabled agenda in the 1970’s.

The disabled movement needs to be culturally diverse. It cannot follow the previous movements of the sixties or seventies. We need a new vision. Do we have the personnel to create this new disabled political vision? A vision that must include the disabled minority. There must be a new vision by the Disabled Leadership to attract African American, Latino American, and Asian America disabled adults.

Now the question remands will the disabled movement look like the disabled population of America?

Statistics are from the 2000 national census

The University of Calif. At Berkeley

Southern Ill. University at Carbondale

THAT IS THE GRAYLINE!!!!

Deri James <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Friday 21 Nov 2003 3:40 am, you wrote:
> i think we all here know the difference in problems
> that a person has through no fault of their own,
> (example: a disability) and problems a person has
> contributed to bringing on theirselves. jacksons
> problems are of the latter catagory. this is not a
> black vs white issue, it is about a grown man who
> likes to diddle around with little kids. the man
> deserves a trial as perscribed in our constitution,
> but, he has earned no respect from me.

That's the whole problem Ken, every post has assumed Mr Jackson has done
something with young children (hence losing your respect).

Equally possible is someone hoping to make some money out of a situation.

Why, do you assume MJ has done something wrong before any investigations are
complete and a trial started?

Cheers

Deri

gary norris gray