C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:02:49 -0500
Toddy

I had much the same thoughts as I was reading those threads ( and the
same reluctance to jump in, lol).
I am a psychiatric nurse/ counsellor by profession. On my caseload I have
clients living with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, depression,
anxiety disorder,etc. Most of my work involves grieving: the losses incurred
as a result of their illness or disorder, whatever that is and  having the
actual illness itself.
Over the years I have found that grief due to loss is a common lived
experience for almost everyone who has experienced life with a chronic
illness or condition. If people are stuck in denial, depression, anger... they
need to get unstuck. Often just having someone to really listen is enough.
The whole purpose of the grieving process is to come to acceptance. Of
the loss, of the change, of the new limitations, of the need for new hopes
and dreams...
My son will need to grieve his differences from others as he grows AND
learn to celebrate his own unique gifts to come to accept who he is (and
like himself).  Acceptance from others is so important as Carla's post
attested to. Rejection and abuse create a breeding ground for the anger
and denial that many others spoke of.
I  don't think this is an area exclusive to CP... it applies to anyone.
Didn't mean to go off on too much of a tangent.. just my $0.02 FWIW. :)

Yvonne
Mommy to 2 year-old triplets: Robert (NDA), Anthony (PVL, CP), and Our
Angel, Joseph {April 14/97-Dec. 31/98}. Ottawa, Canada