C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Pink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:48:21 -0600
I was born on July 5, 1971. It was a complicated birth . . . I couldn't cry,
breathe or suck. The doctors thought I would be a vegetable the rest of my
life. I was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at the age of three and a half and
am very physically disabled. I can't walk, talk or feed myself in the
"normal way."
When I was four years old, I was the Cerebral Palsy "poster child." I
attended day care at a school designed for children with disabilities. After
that, I attended a main stream school and when I was in fourth grade, I was
put into a special education class.
I won the award for the outstanding handicapped citizen for the State of
Wisconsin. In college I double majored in data entry and accounting. Now, I
update telephone directories for a living. I update approximately twenty to
thirty phone books a year working right in my home. I also make and sell my
own greeting cards.
I use a Liberator for communication and to access my computer. I had to go
through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to get my Liberator.
Previously, I had owned a TouchTalker so I knew the Liberator would be the
right device. My dad custom made the lap tray especially for my Liberator,
which I really enjoy.
My family consists of a father, a mother and three brothers. I also have
eight nieces and nephews.

My lifelong goal is to be able to live independently and take care of
myself.