C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:39:28 -0500
Deborah,

        Sometimes we get hung up on labels. You have to ask yourself,
"Would it make a very significant difference in the way I feed, wash, or
hug Zachary if I
knew whether or not he was hypotonic, spastic, etc. If you answer the
question honestly, I think the answer would be "No." We are intrigued by
diagnoses and diagnostic labels, but despite what you might think, many
such diagnoses are subjective guesses. I was always taught that there were
few, if any, pure types of CP and the best "guesses" were based on what
pathological reflexes were still present or not present.

Bobby