C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:30:27 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for some time, reading some great information and
advice.

My name is Vince Cleniuk and for all of my 33 years, I've had CP
(spastic diaplegia).
It's great to find a mailing list with so many people who've experienced
some of
the same things I've been through.

There are so many people on this list with great attitudes.  I wish I
could have
that approach more often.  But lately I've run into some obstacles --
other people
with harsh discriminatory biases.

Don't get me wrong, my entire life I've encountered people with poor
opinions of
disabled persons.  In every other occasion, I didn't let it sink in.
This time is
different.

In this new apartment building, my next door neighbors are vile.
They're an
older couple who apparently resent me for my handicap.  They've invited
every other new neighbor over to visit, and not me.

I've heard them shout at me (as I pass their door) things like "You have
no right to be here." and "You sure know how to take advantage of the
system."
I won't mention the vulgar things.  On 2 occasions I confronted them at
their door.  In public, they deny all.  If I hadn't confronted them at
their
door, I wouldn't have seen them.  I'm very tempted to put their names
here for everyone to remember.

I've spoken to a lawyer who helped me put in formal complaints about
their
behavior with the apartment management.  But after that, even he said I
might
be forced to move.  Moving is O.K. except it took me a long time just to
find this apartment.  It's the only one that comes close to being
accessible.

It feels like I'm stuck.  I'd be very greatful of anyone's advice.

Regards,

Vince