C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:02:35 -0500
According to my dictionary, it's "Abnormal tonicity of muscle, characterized by prolonged, repetitive muscle contractions that may cause twisting or jerking movements of the body or a body part."

That is, muscle contractions which lead to uncontrolled movements of the body or parts like the neck, or legs, etc.  Dystonia can be a symptom of CP.  This is different from rigid spasticity which is inability to move a part of the body because it's too stiff, which is what I have in my legs, or spastic diplegia.

If I'm wrong, somebody correct me, please.

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What's Dystonia?

--- Jennifer Zubko
wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> As most of you know by now, my treating
> physicians/ nurses here in London
> now think that the majority of my probems
> related to excess muscle tone
> and pain come from dystonia and not spasticity.
> The selective dorsal
> rhizotomy got rid of the spasticity, but it is
> the dystonia that causes
> painful spams, constant movement, inability to
> sleep, etc. No one knew I
> had dystonic movements until after my
> rhizotomy. Now that I realize I must
> wait months to have the Intrathecal Baclofen
> pump implanted, are there any
> medications besides oral baclofen that have
> helped with regards to
> dystonic movements and pain for your children?
> I can't even describe the
> pain. I am taking morphine but even that has
> minimal effect because my
> muscles are so tight.
>
> I ask you not to include Baclofen in any lists
> you might make for me
> because I have developed tolerance to the drug.
> I have called the nurse
> who works with my neurologist about this and
> left a message. Figure it is
> better than e-mailing the man, LOL, but wanted
> your opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jenn

=====