C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:56:14 -0500
Hello,
I am very sorry if I offended or hurt anyone. It was not my intention. I am
a strong advocate for children with disabilities. I have been told this by
many parents of children that I treated. Because I respect the rights of
families and children with disabilities, I asked the moderators of the
listserv for permission to post the email. The permission was granted from
the moderators. I would never include anything in my dissertation research
from this listserve without prior permission of the individual or the
listserv itself.

My research is fully approved by Temple University's Institutional Review
Board (IRB), so it is quite legit.  Moreover, Temple University's IRB, which
protects the rights of all participants in research, requires informed
consent and informed assent forms to be generated by all researchers. These
forms are approved by the IRB only if they adequately protect the rights,
privacy, and confidentiality of the research participants. Additionally, the
IRB will only approve the research if the research protocol is safe,
farthers the knowledge of the topic in question, benefits the participants,
and society at large. So, I as an individual and as a researcher governed by
an IRB would respect the rights all participants.

I was merely trying to introduce myself as PhD Candidate, my research, and
to see if any parents of children with CP were interested in contacting me
to learn more about my study and potentially participate through the
listserv. The actual data collection or research would only begin after I
would meet with the participants, explained the study, and had informed
consent forms and informed assent forms signed by the parent and child and
not before. Again I am sorry for any ill will that my email caused.
Sorry,

Greta von der Luft BS, MSPT, MEd, PhD Candidate