C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:24:10 +0800
Joy, I totally agree.  I used nothing to help me get around until I
was 19, and I was totally exhausted every day - life was miserable,
and it has taken me several years to recover.  I now use a scooter for
outside mobility, and only walk inside houses and small buildings.  I
am happier and far healthier than I was - gradual deterioration not
withstanding.  I lost so much of my life being forced to focus only on
passing as `normal', and not on my other qualities which are far more
important and valuable than how my body does or does not work.  What
makes us all valuable people is how our hearts, minds and spirits
work, not our bodies.

Rayna

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:31:03AM -0500, - Joy - wrote:
    I understand that this was supposed to be inspirational.  And I have a
    lot of respect for Jennifer's accomplishments... but this quote just
    bothered me:

    "Once, she was so far down, she was in a wheelchair," Carter said.
    Carter prodded her daughter to fight the disease. "I said, 'If you sit
    in that, you're never going to get back up.'

    Why does everyone consider being in a wheelchair to be the worst case
    scenario?  Why should she have to struggle and be out of breath every
    day at school?  There are so many ways to make life easier and more
    enjoyable... It frustrates me that the media continues to portray life
    in a wheelchair as a death sentence or worse.

    ~Joy~
    http://www.geocities.com/joy0823
    Last Movie Seen:  "Dead Man Walking" - 5 out of 5 stars
    Current Book:  "Billy Straight" by Jonathan Kellerman