C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:33:49 -0500
I was at an all-day meeting today at a conference centre (actually a resort
called Chetola) in Blowing Rock, NC. A great meeting held at a beautiful
resort just off the Blue Ridge Parkway with a view of the mountains and a
lake on the grounds. Also a fantastic lunch. And we came on a bus the
company chartered for the trip from Winston-Salem. Just one problem - the
handicapped access was in the rear, next to the garbage cans. Ugh. I know
it's in sync with the ADA and it's hard to provide proper and easy
wheelchair access in a steep mountain area, but com'on - next to the garbage
cans? I'm getting a bit tired of having to go to the rear just to get into a
building.

My sister has a theory that the reason a lot of disabled people feel like
second-class citizens is because we're shunted off to rear entrances, to
servants' doors, etc. I think she's got a point although it does go deeper
than that.

Kat