C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:36:34 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: lwalker <[log in to unmask]>
To: C-PALSY <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sat, Nov 5, 2011 12:59 pm
Subject: Re: Ecuador

Hola Everyone,
I wanted to update you on Case and on my living in Ecuador. I think of
he people on the list often especially when I encounter the health care
ystem here and compare it to experiences in the US. It is much more
ompassionate and kind here, not to mention totally affordable and the
ealth care is good. Case's brother (and we don't know how this
appened, neither do the medical pros) got the super bug MRSA and we
early lost him. He was in the hospital for 3 weeks and went home with
n antibiotic drip. Luckily he recovered but it was pretty scary as we
ad just gotten Case out of the hospital. This caused me to ask  a
octor here about it and he said they do not have that here and it turns
ut only 8 countries have MRSA and they are the ones that over use
ntibiotics, all first world countries. Interesting.
ase is still in Hawaii and finally had his muscles transferred and
eel repositioned at Shriner's and it seems it was pretty successful. He
s still recovering and is in a wheel chair at school, now in Junior
igh, and it is a much bigger school. Hopefully he will get strong
nough to walk around the campus at least some of the time. He has so
utgrown his wheelchair and insurance in the states allows a new one
nly after five years and there is a huge difference between a 12 year
ld and a seven year old so it looks like he is riding in a baby one.
ase has taken a big interest in surfing and does it lying on the board.
is big brother is very good to him and helps him but instead of being
n the same board he is now on his own board.
ow I think some of you know I moved to Ecuador because I was never
oing to be able to retire in the USA. And in a strange twist after
eing here for six months I started getting hired by attorneys again and
ecently attended a conference in Chicago. So I am working remotely and
oving it with some travel to the states.
his week is the celebration of Cuenca's (the city I live in)
ndependence and the war lasted for a day and a half and the
elebrations last for 5 days. Fireworks, crafts fairs, music, art shows
uite fun. I think i mentioned the vice president of the country is in a
heel chair and although it is difficult on cobblestones the country is
rying to make things easier for people who are physically challenged.
o I am coming up on my first year here and still loving it.
All my best to you,
Linda