C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:59:05 -0400
Hello everyone,

Recovery from my hamstring lengthening is going very well and I am
pleased with the results so far, but yesterday I went for my first
session of water PT and was not impressed.  I've been doing water
aerobics for at least 8 years and know many of the stretches we did and
quite honestly, I expected more since a PT was in the pool with me.

Basically all I did was stretch my hips, hamstrings, and calves with
some basic stretches.  We then walked a bit forward and backwards using
the treadmill in the pool.  After a half hour of this, she says, "Well
that's it for today.  I don't want to work you too hard since you
probably haven't worked this hard since your surgery."  Well, my mouth
must have dropped to the floor because I felt like what we did was just
the warm up!  I mean, the PT didn't even touch me!  So, my point....Has
anyone ever had water PT?  If so, what types of things did you do?  I
guess I am looking for the PT to actually manipulate me in the water
when we have heat and bouyancy to increase flexibility.

Plus, when I got out of the pool, I was VERY uncomfortable trying to
walk on land.  Heck, I've only been walking without my walker for about
a week and that's in my sneakers with my orthodics, not on slippery
floors!  So, if I was at all loosened up in the water, that went out the
door fast.  I actually limped, stumbled, hobbled to the locker area to
change, hanging onto anything in sight and then even when I was dressed
and in my regular shoes, I was still much more "herky-jerky" walking to
my car than when I first came in...and it wasn't due to fatigue.

So bottom line, I am mega frustrated with my experience and wonder if
anyone has some wisdom related to this topic to share.  I go back again
later this afternoon and want to be "armed" with questions, comments,
requests.

Linda