C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:42:01 -0400
Linda, I think your politics are showing.  I don't believe this fellow was a veteran of any current conflict.  The article referred to a 'brief army stint'.  I do believe the Guardian was trying to capitalize on his military service and subliminally link his military service to his crime without having to outright establish the connection--but that's typical of yellow journalism, both liberal and conservative.  PTSD may tear a mind down, but it doesn't turn whole groups of vets into cold-hearted brutes.  How many vets do you know?  How many have you talked to about their experiences--or are you just repeating what you've been told by the proponents of a particular political agenda?

War is brutal to soldier and civilian alike, but you can't make sweeping generalizations about post-bellum behavior.  If your prediction were based in fact, we would have never recovered from the second World War.  My father, who served in two conflicts, Korea and Vietnam, would have taken out his war-generated angst on his family, right?  A retired US Marine Lieutenant Colonel, he is the kindest, most gentle man I've ever known.

War is supposed to be brutal, violent.  It is such an admission of failure and is testimony to the true nature of humankind.  The military is a blunt instrument--a hammer, where everything is a nail.  But nobody wants war less than the best soldier.

Three years is harsh?  In most US states this would be conspiracy to manslaughter and would have received 10-15 with parole at 7.  I highly doubt that castigation from his neighbors is going to enhance his contrition.

Kyle Cleveland