C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Ashby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 09:39:09 -0400
Dana,

My 10 year old has a diagnosis of ADHD.  I have found that from
Kendergarten to about 2nd or 3rd grade the children seem to be a little
more willing to accept someone who is different.  By 4th grade, however,
children are cruel to those who do not conform, this has been detrimental
to his self-esteem.

I am an active advocate for my children, especially in the areas of ADHD
and CP.  However, I realize that any gains I am making with society will
benefit future generations, but not necessarily my children.  I hope to
continue to be an advocate and teach my children that they are also
advocates. I feel it is vitally important to provide my children with
strong, positive self-esteems by being with them when they encounter
negative responses from the public.  I have found that by sending them away
to school for 6-8 hours a day I have lost that chance (dealing with
something hours after it happened is not as effective).

Thanks for validating my feelings.
Kim