C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:26:13 -0500
Debra,

As a 5th grade teacher myself, with spastic cp, I can echo what everyone
else has already said.  I'd like to also add to the other comments that you
may need to tell teachers that they are going to have to push these cp kids
a bit to get out of their comfort zone and try things they would often be
told they "can't do" by others.  I so wish that I had been pushed to
participate in sports in gym class so I could at least understand the game,
if not play well.  Sometimes because CP kids (or other disabled kids, too)
are overprotected or babied at home, they need to learn how to take risks -
physically, socially, academically.

Hope this helps your inservice.  I'd imagine people won't be too open about
their thoughts on the topic.  Good luck!

Linda