C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 22:07:32 -0700
Kat, as you may be aware, Calif is facing major budget woes. our gov'nor had said that if we got the 10 billion from the feds, that he wouldn't cut us back so much. But, I think the fed is giving our state the money, but not all at once. so, if our special election this month does not help, here is what happens; already in the month of may, SSI got cut by $35.00. Medi-cal (medicaid) stops paying for nearly everything! dental, podiatry, hearing aids, OT PT.

The State will cut back what it contributes to our in-home services, and pay 8.00 per hour, the counties will be deciding if they can even afford it, but in any case, their health insurance benies will probably go. There are many disabled who simply may end up in nursing homes...
IHSS will be trying to cut stuff like meal prep, meal clean up, and god knows what else.

the regional centers are being asked to cut administrative cost 3 percent, as well as 3 percent cut back on what they pay supported living / independent living agencies like the one that supports me. so my agency is doing all it can to avoid big cuts, but not sure how they can avoid it. For instance, no more raises, no more reimbursement for eating out with the consumers, the directors are taking pay cuts..........  it's bad, but will get worse if the economy doesn't get better soon.  What really gets me is our legislators and all their aides are getting a 5 percent RAISE!   So, Some of us are looking at doing civil disobediance in SACTO, to bring attention to the very real issues that will happen if all these cuts go into effect!

Thanks,
Tamar

Tamar Mag Raine, Commissioner,

Oakland Mayor's Commission on People with Disabilities

http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
www.cafepress.com/tamarmag