C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Hershenhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:10:40 -0800
thank you for your suggestions. I can't believe there are so many people willing to help. I am overwhelmed. Thank you agai.  Lori

Mike Collis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Lori, have you tried the independent living center in Las Vegas? They may
help.

Raising a Kid with C.P. is tough. I really don't think anyone actually
knows how tough it is unless one has been through it. And the teen years
are worse. I know I went from "good" teen to "rebellious" teen and back to
being a good teen in a space of 12 months... I had a lot of growing up to
do... There's nothing to do but hang on. Your son will become mature but
it'll be rough for him and you until he does.

I've learned some things by remembering how my parents treated me (or didn't
treat me) as I was growing up First, don't coddle. I mean use 'tough
love." Secondly, let him learn from his mistakes. Thirdly, do not
instill false hopes. You can instill realistic hope.