C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Virginia Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:01:01 -0600
When we had attendants for a while for our son (he was 4 then), most of them had some strange limits on what they would and wouldn't do (and they were all different on what those limits were).
I do have an insight on the moral/religious/ethical one, though. I was raised Southern Baptist and was taught from the ground up that any use of alcohol was a huge sin. It was really ground in. Lots.  My attitudes have changed with maturity (that lemonade thing sounds good.....), but I have relatives who would almost rather slit their throats than handle the stuff. They won't cook with it or even take it in medicine (NyQuil). One person won't even patronize restaurants where alcohol is served. I've read that Muslims have similar constraints, although a bit milder. From what I remember, those types of religious belief systems don't really distinguish between alcohol and serious drugs like heroine, cocaine, meth, etc.  It sounds like you just had bad luck in the attendant draw with regard to getting a drink now and then.