C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:00:43 EST
I am not against prayer, especially if they are on behalf of others, but if
we were
miraculous "cured" of CP tomorrow, we would then need thousands of dollars
for the
psychotherapy needed to adjust to our "cure". The sounds illogicalat first,
but if one looks at the literature on say, facial disfigurement, where
miraculous plastic surgery was done; what follows soon after is a very deep
depressive state! The individual has blame his/her problems(unconsciously
usually) on their disfigurement. Once it is removed and the same problems
arise, the person is at a loss.
    Prayer to connect with an outside source is super for many people, but it
is wise
to heed the saying, "Be very careful for what you pray for-- you just may get
it."

Bobby

In a message dated 2/19/01 6:25:33 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I too see no problem with hoping for a cure and saying prayers in your own
way whatever that might be.  Its your own life, you can do whatever you want
and feel a need to do, as long as it doesn't effect others in a wrong way.
Kathy, I know that you're smart and I feel if you would like to have a cure
some day, you should start looking into what could be done and get grants
and money yourself to begin something.  I don't see anything stopping us
from doing something like that because its how everything we have today got
started actually.   >>