C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:03:57 -1000
This is somewhat changing the subject but I heard a couple of talks
on NPR about water rights, one by a Canadian and one by someone from
South America and multinationals are buying water indigenous people
have always had and fencing off the areas with dogs and guards to
keep people out from where they have always gone to get their water,
the gist of this was multi nationals are killing us. One was a French
company, can't remember the name but they did the Suez canal and then
heard an Indian woman talk about how people using seeds are getting
sued by these companies for not using the hybrids. She said multi
nationals tried to say basmati rice was something they invented and
tried to take out a patent on on it. She said in India they have laws
that say the water and the seeds cannot be patented. She talked about
how they are saving bio diversity and  that many of the seeds they
test have more nutrients than the new seeds. It was an amazing talk
and also said most of your pellegrino water is from Lake Michigan,
not from where you think it is at a 2000% profit. I already knew not
to buy bottled water.
Reminds me of a political campaign I worked on where our ad was a
bunch of pigs eating at a tough and under it rolled "We're not
against oil companies making a profit, we're against this kind of
greed with the % of profits they were making rolling by. Many of
these indigenous people are forced to use catchment now. This is
ridiculous and the Canadians were saying that NAFTA will kill them
because much of their water is to go to the US and this woman was
suggesting they opt out of this agreement.
As Americans we have to start using less of the worlds resources and
become more sensitive to other countries.