C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:45:10 -0700
Bobby,

  I'll amend my earlier thought. How about PWD's, each with a pair of
tenacious, ankle-biting terriers? Although it could backfire .. nasty
neighbors will fall in love with the dogs and want to be your very bestest
friend. Then you'd have them coming over to borrow sugar, when all they
want to do is play with your fur kid.

  Seriously, though, as to obnoxious neighbors, I'd be polite. Recording
nasty comments might get one into trouble. Lodging a formal complaint to
the apartment management is a good idea with a copy going to legal
counsel. No matter who we are, or where we live in this world, we with
disabilities (no matter what the type) will always have to deal with
attitudinal barriers. It's difficult enough coping with the daily
challenges of disability without having  those around us slapping us in
the face with their own insecurities. And that's what they are. Insecure.
We are stronger than that! One who pays for living accommodation has the
right to reasonable expectation of quiet enjoyment of his home, whether it
is a commercial apartment building or a rented house. If his enjoyment of
hearth and home is being put in jeopardy, then he has grounds to complain
to the housing authority. Moving should not be an option. Perhaps a letter
written to the abusive parties may help. Let them know who you are and
what you are about and all you want is to enjoy your new digs. If they
have a problem with that, then they are not worthy of any further
consideration/overture.

  My 5 cents!

Cheers!

Carla