C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Elaine P. Kane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:17:06 EDT
        I, for one, am glad that this "discussion" has come up - no matter
how it started! First off, I want to applaud the entire group for their
ability to accept other's posts without dumping on them or placing their own
value system over someone else's. Just imagine if the whole world worked this
way??? So before anything else, PLEASE-acknowledge yourselves for the
open-mindedness and care and respect that has been shown through this thread.
It makes me very proud to be a part of this group.
        OK-- I am off my soap box, now. The other reason I wanted to speak up
about this topic being openly discussed is that your posts are helping me to
heal. I made the choice after my car accident (when I was 4 mos. pregnant
with my son, Joshua) to not have a therapeutic abortion. 12 of 13 doctors
voted for the abortion. My decision was really a selfish one. I only wanted
to live to have this baby. If I had lost the baby, I would have given up and
died!
        When Joshua was born and showed signs of any disability, I never even
blinked. I just immediately went to work (as any good OT would do!) and
started early intervention. I love my son with all of my heart. He is now 16
and is in a power wheelchair with CP. I struggle daily with guilt feelings
about his disability and wonder whether I did him a disservice by being so
deviant about not having an abortion at the time of the accident. Joshua
tells me that he is glad to be here the way he is, but I am the one that
struggles. The dialogue of this group helps me tremendously with that
struggle. It has been painful to read some of these posts, but necessary as
well.
        I thank you all for your candor and your spirit. I can
"intellectualize" as well as anyone and share my beliefs. The posts over the
past week have been very therapeutic for me in my healing. I thank each one
of you from the bottom of my heart. I pray that Joshua will someday as an
adult still feel as he does now about the decisions I made without his
consent.   <3 Elaine