C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:08:26 -0500
Deri,

If I was you, I would relax and enjoy yourself and be open to learn as you
go as far as giving tips.  If I was going to give a tip to somebody in
person, I would try to take note of the look on their face.  If it's a good
look you know that you gave a reasonable tip or else over tipped by a lot,
but however if you under tipped they would look at you to tell you that you
need to get better at tipping.  If you receive a bad look, don't take it bad
because you didn't know and learn from it.

Enjoy yourself!
Anthony

  Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 4:42 AM
  Subject: Some advice please

  Hi all,

  Well, me & Lin's, long anticipated visit to the US of A is just
  around the corner (Sep 10th), celebrating our 25th Wedding
  Anniversary. There are a couple of questions I'd really like advice
  on:-

  Finance.

  I have a Visa Debit (not credit) card, I assume (like over here) it
  will be accepted anywhere that says "All major credit cards
  accepted", Is this true?

  I am not a seasoned traveller!! What denomination of American Express
  Travellers Cheques will be most useful, mainly for paying hotel/B&B
  bills?

  Tipping

  Always a difficult area if your disabled. The number of people I've
  offended by either tipping/not tipping someone who's offered to help
  carry my things!! It's Ok in big hotels, stations, etc. where there
  are people whose job it is to carry travellers cases, and their low
  wages are considerably bolstered by tipping. How much would you give
  in that situation? (Here, my boy, here's a dime!!).

  The problem occurs in smaller Hotels/B&Bs where you may be dealing
  with the owner, or one of his family, in reception. Since they do not
  employ a porter, but see you struggling with the cases with a
  disability, and they offer to help, are you still expected to tip?

  The other area I will need to tip, is Bars & Restaurants. Over here
  in restaurants you run a bill for the whole evening, settle at the
  end and leave a 10% tip on the table if happy with the meal/service
  (unless the bill said "Service included", or "Servis Compris"). In
  Pubs its different. You pay for a "round" of drinks. If it was a
  particularly large round and you've had a nice bit of banter with the
  barmaid (and you are a regular) you can offer to buy her a drink.
  Then you repeat for each round. Is this the same?

  Fast Food restaurants you never tip, unless there's a waitress
  service. Same?

  Anyway, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

  Cheers

  Deri