C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jill Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:48:14 -0400
Dear Jan,

I just read your post.  I have been very busy lately with work and family,
and have not had much time to respond to e-mail.  However, having read your
letter, I have to say that I could not help but respond.  First, I can only
hope that, when they are grown, my kids will care about me as much as you
obviously care about your parents.

Second, your letter makes me wonder... is the extra money (over the SSI
$2,000 limit) worth having no life today?  Is it worth feeling lousy and
lonely and empty?  Would you rather get rid of it -- give it away, spend it
on a new wardrobe, blow it on beer and sub sandwiches with friends?  Is the
money worth it?  What will it do for you later?

This leads me to wonder.... How quickly will the money be gone if you are to
need it for medical costs, personal care, whatever later?  What are your
other options for personal care later -- after your parents are gone?

And... finally....  what about the rest of your life?  You say that you are
on summer vacation.  Does that mean you are in college the rest of the year?
Who handles your personal care when you are away?  What about
transportation?  Have you considered staying wherever it is you live during
the school year during summer?  Is that possible?  Perhaps an option for
next  summer?  What will you do after you graduate?  In college I lived with
another girl.  She had quadraplegia, and I was her PCA.  Truly, we became
best friends.  I ended up spending two summers with her in her hometown
during those college years and a third we spent at the University.  Is an
arrangement like this possible for you?

Finally, I would suggest you try and track down the nearest Independent
Living Center.  Certainly they must have some thoughts.... maybe...

Anyway, I know I have not solved your problems... but I do wish you the
best, and will remind you that summer will end soon enough!  :)

In freedom,

Jill Jacobs