C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:15:13 -0800
Hi all!

While the article below is a bit dated, reading it let me with a very
positive feeling.

Take care-Gary

Friday, December 14, 2001

Liz Grandin
CPRF School Of Adaptive Computer Training Public Relations
5111 E 21st St N  ~  Wichita KS 67208
(316)652-1544  ~  fax (316)652-1526
[log in to unmask]  ~  www.cprf.org

by Liz Grandin
CPRF School of Adaptive Computer Training
When instructor Michael Taylor tells a student, "I know what you're going
through, but you can do this" he speaks from personal experience.  A
graduate of the CPRF School of Adaptive Computer Training himself, Taylor
has met each of his own challenges head on and today works to help others to
do the same.
"I want to give each student who comes through this school the same support
and inspiration that was given to me.  I want to see others excel, to
overcome the obstacles that have been put before them and to achieve their
very best."
The School of Adaptive Computer Training (SACT) began classes in January
2000 with a mission to enhance the computer technical skills and
marketabililty of people with special needs.  Located in Wichita, Kan., the
school matches the right technology with a person's individual ability to
maximize computer technical training.  The end goal levels the playing field
in the IT market and opens the door of opportunity for careers and life-long
independence.  So far, the SACT team has seen an 80 percent success rate in
career placements among its graduates.
Taylor, whose life was transformed by a disabling illness, is just one of
the school's many success stories.  Today, he applies what he's learned to
help others.
In a paper he wrote to help his classmates understand his journey toward
overcoming his disabilities, Taylor wrote:  "My personal appearance is an
unwilling reflection of true-life circumstances.  The image I remember is
one of a muscular athletic man with dark hair and green eyes full of spirit,
soul and confidence.  Through hard work and relentless determination, I
believe many of these qualities have returned.  It is yet to be realized,
but a full comeback may be possible.  I will leave what you see in me now as
a reality, and what once was and might be again to your imagination."
In December 1994, Taylor became sick and had to leave his job. A viral
infection, known as vistibular neuronitis, had severely damaged a nerve in
his brain, causing paralysis and severely affected his vision.
"It was an extreme illness and it came on very fast," said Taylor, a Wichita
native and father of two.  "Basically, I had to learn to do almost
everything all over again."
After 18 months of intense therapy, and without much hope from doctors that
he would be able to walk again, Taylor regained his mobility.  From the
beginning, he was advised to apply for social security benefits, as
reentering the job market didn't appear to be a viable option.  A single
parent of two young girls, though, Taylor was determined to prove them
wrong.
"I never really believed that I wouldn't walk again," recalls Taylor, "and I
think that's why I was able to come back, because I couldn't accept it -
although it did end my competitive involvement in tennis and baseball."
    Before his illness, Taylor was very athletic - both on the job and
in his personal life.  As a lab technician he worked with crop harvest and
spent much of his time on site.
"It wasn't the normal lab tech job where people mix chemicals - it was very
physical," said Taylor.  "My illness completely ruled out that kind of
work."
The extreme dizziness is something Taylor lives with and continues to work
around.  After many years of rehabilitation therapy, he began searching for
a job.
"I wanted to get back and make something of myself," said Taylor.  After
looking for a job on his own, Taylor sought help at the Independent Living
Resource Center.  "My story seemed so fantastic that I thought they might
not believe me," recalls Taylor.  "After confirming my disability, the
counselors set in motion the events that allowed me to apply to the SACT."
In March 2000, Taylor was referred for his first interview with the SACT
admissions team.  During his interview, he told them that he believed he
could successfully complete the program.
"I told them I could do it and they believed in me - that's all I needed...
a chance."
Using zoom text to assist him in class, Taylor exceeded even his own
expectations, becoming the first student to acquire each globally recognized
certification available through the SACT.  He also began assisting as a
part-time instructor.  Only days away from graduation, he was asked to join
the SACT team on a full-time basis.
"I knew as soon as they offered the position that I wanted to do this," said
Taylor, who admits that the offer came as a surprise.  "I remember sitting
in the break room thinking about what was I going to do with these
certifications when the director invited me to his office.  He offered me
the position, and told me to take a couple of days to think about it.  The
next day I accepted."
    Since graduation in June, things have turned around for Taylor and
his girls.  The SACT has given him an a sense of increased freedom to do
more with his family, as well as, "personal and family pride."
Things many parents take for granted are signs of success for the Taylor
family: "Simply being able to buy school supplies for my girls really made
me feel good."
While reflecting on all that's happened since his illness, Taylor said that
the SACT experience has given him "power to open the doors that lead to
greater possibilities financially and socially as individuals and as a
family unit.  Things are getting better and better - it's not all financial,
but it sure helps."
    Being a SACT graduate has also made him a better instructor and he
has learned a great deal from his students.
    "Because of the special kinds of students I work with, I have
insight that others may not have," said Taylor, who found a new perspective
on the challenges both teachers and students face when he took his place at
the front of the room.
Probably the most important job he's tackled since becoming a SACT
instructor has been getting his students to believe in themselves beginning
with the very first day of class.  Taylor knows how tough the national
certification exams are and said he "doesn't dare take a break in leaning on
his students to keep them focused.  I was able to teach myself to believe I
could do it and now, I have to teach others to believe in themselves, too.
When people believe in themselves, they'll succeed."

The Author's views reflect only their opinion and do not necessarily reflect that of The Disability Grapevine.
Do not copy any of these articles without the author’s permission.
Executive Editor: Paul Cannaday
Managing Editor: Marijo Cannaday

Advice Columnist
Just Ask Joe

Special Columnist
Rev. Rus Cooper-Dowda
The weekly schedule for The Disability Grapevine is:
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday 	News Articles
Tuesday, Friday		News Articles, Letters to the Editor