C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:44:15 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: HEMI-KIDS Discussion list for parents of children with hemiplegia
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Meir Weiss
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 09:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [HK] Emailing: story Grease is the word for Summit students

  Your files are attached and ready to send with this message.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/news/story.asp?id=41319D7F-2557-4384-8D08
-424DF0488278

Grease is the word for Summit students
Musical is much more than a show for developmentally disabled teenagers
  KAREN SEIDMAN
The Gazette
Tuesday, June 10, 2003
CREDIT: ALLEN McINNIS, THE GAZETTE
Lucien Gauthier plays Danny as Summit School students put on a
performance of Grease at Vanier College.

Move over, John Travolta.

Travolta may have immortalized Danny Zuko in the screen version of
Grease, but Lucien Gauthier is making the character his own on the stage
at Vanier College.

As one of the developmentally disabled students from Summit School
involved in a production of Grease, Gauthier, 19, has nailed the cool,
tough guy stance needed for the part of Danny. But he brings a charm to
the role that is all his own as he woos not only Sandy, but also the
audience, with his singing, dancing and winsome ways.

Featuring students with a range of development difficulties that include
Down syndrome and autism, this is Grease as you've never seen it before
- a production that touches the soul.

"It's much more than a show, it's like therapy for them," said assistant
director Mary Polychronas, a special-education teacher at the St.
Laurent school for children with developmental disabilities. "It's been
a challenge, but also very rewarding because we've seen such a
difference in the students. They're coming out, feeling more confident
and even their parents have noticed big changes."

One student's parents reported that he would always shy away from guests
at home, but now is happy to chat with them.

Rather than having the students adapt to the play, director Ada
Masciarelli adapted the play to meet the students' needs. In the case of
one boy who doesn't speak clearly, Masciarelli turned him into a foreign
student and wrote an interpreter into the script for him.

At a dress rehearsal yesterday, Masciarelli, also a special-education
teacher at Summit, marvelled at the students' talents.

"This started as something small, maybe a 15-minute show, but it just
grew and took on a life of its own," she said. "The kids kept showing me
they could do more and more. They let us know we could raise the bar, so
we did."

The result is an hour-long production that has been in rehearsals since
last fall.

The students, ranging in age from 16 to 20, are so good on stage you
almost forget about the challenges they have to overcome, until one
actress comes offstage to have her shoelace tied.

Gauthier said he's loved every minute of rehearsals.

"It took a lot of focus and concentration," he said. "But I feel proud
and I've got 20 people coming to see me."

Despite his newfound acting bug, Gauthier has a pragmatic outlook and
knows he has to work at math and reading so he can get a job. His dream
job? Working in a movie theatre - "I'd get to watch the movies for
free!"

Raffi Gulbenkian also raved about his experience on stage.

"I'm enjoying it so much," said Gulbenkian, 16, who bought the movie
version of Grease and watches it five times a week. "Grease makes me
happy."

The teachers said the change in Stephanie Sotocinal - the 16-year-old
girl who plays Sandy - was one of the most dramatic. As someone who
always wanted to do her own thing, Sotocinal is now happy to be part of
the group and is interacting with everyone.

Tickets for Friday night's performance at Vanier's 400-seat auditorium
are sold out. [log in to unmask] C Copyright  2003 Montreal
Gazette