C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:14:44 -0500
Hi,

        I am totally curious what "alternate truth" systems are. Many many
of what seems to get put in these catergories are belief systems that have
been around a lot longer than Christianity. The earliest recorded proof of
Paganaism - is a record of Isis that dates back to 7000 BCE - adding the
2000 CE years on makes Paganism 9,000 years old. Hardly an alternative.

There are 12, long established, major world religions, each with over 3
million         followers:  Baha'i Faith( est - 1844 BCE),   Buddhism ( est
550 BCE), Christianity ( est - aprox 33 CE,  Confucianism (est 500 BCE) ,
Hinduism (4000 BCE) , Islam(600 CE), Jainism (550 BCE),   Judaism ( est
apprx 4000 BCE) , Shinto ( 500 BCE),  Sikhism (est 1500 CE ) , Taoism (est
600,BCE),   Vodun (Voodoo) (est 18th century).

BCE - Before Common Era
CE   - Common Era

    Please note the number - there are oodles of smaller ones - Neopagan
faiths are modern-day reconstructions of ancient Pagan religions from
various countries and eras. They experience a high level of discrimination
and persecution in North America, and are usually not practiced in public
for reasons of safety. They are  Asatru (Norse Paganism),   Druidism ,
Goddess Worship,  Wicca ,and Witchcraft

 THe Christians borrowed heavily from Paganism (Perhaps even right down to
the Jesus figure) - and managed to eradicated on most continents and
Islands - they declared as their own. They warred with the others.
Horrendous things have been done thru the 2 centuries - Christianity has
been evolving - The Crusades - the Witch Trials - etc. Today, as Pagans can
walk in freedom ( in some places) it is a growing Religion.

There are about 1,200 formal Christian organizations in North America.
Christianity is a severely divided faith with beliefs ranging from very
conservative to very liberal. Unfortunately, many believers are aware of
their own denomination's beliefs, but lack knowledge of what other
Christians believe.

    Some the smaller religions are

These are smaller religions, with a well defined belief in deity, humanity
and the rest of the universe. Of the many hundreds of faith groups in the
world, we have chosen these because of their historical significance, or
because of the massive amount of misinformation that has been spread about
them in North America:

Caodaism,  Druse,   Eckankar,   Gnosticism,   [(Gypsies), Rom, Roma, Romani,
Rroma ] , [Hare Krishna - ISKCON] ,  Lukumi , Macumba ,Mowahhidoon ,  Native
American Spirituality,   New Age Spirituality,    Osho ® (followers of
Rajneesh),
 Santeria ,  Satanism ,  Scientology ,  Thelema,   Unitarian-Universalism
and
 Zoroastrianism

    Other Ethical Groups and Spiritual Paths:    Atheism, Agnosticism and
Humanism
 Deism,  and the Teachings of Dadaji.

    It seems to me there was leap in evolution of thought  around 600-550
BCE. Note the beliefs systems seem to cluster around similiar time frames -
probably times that are pivotal to human development.

    Only 33% of the world is Christian - placed into perspective yet? I get
many of facts and figures from a great site
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ . To learn lots about  really ancient
Christianity - recommend -  http://www.hemisfear.com/wcs/index.htm The site
has an obnoxious Name - Why Christians Suck - but has excellent research on
it. And to be purely fair and equally to counter  WCS site - see
http://www.sounddoctrine.com/ptimes/  - The Perilous Times. Tammy has a way
words and graphics.

    There is no one right way - but there are more user and planet friendly
beliefs. I am sorry the Christians don't like open season on them - None of
us " alternative belief systems" do either. There is a Pagan Law called the
Three Fold Law - which states basically - whatever you do comes back to
you - threefold.

                                             Blessed Be
                                                 Trisha