C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:03:15 -0700
also try n.o.r.d rare disease database at www.nord.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
Tamar Mag Raine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----- Original Message ----
From: greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 3:52:02 PM
Subject: Re: CP and shaken baby syndrome

I can muddy waters even more:

  - If you are African-American, born premature and are female, it is not
  uncommon for a premature infant to survive with just some oxygen via a nasal
  cannula and an incubator. However, if you were male and caucasion, it would
  be even more surprising if you did well without oxygen. Sorry, in the
  neonatal intensive care unit it is known as the wimpy white male syndrome.
  - If your mom had some inherent condition that lead to a poorly defined
  placenta you can be smaller than what is suspected given her due date
  - There are some babies that are called small for gestational age (SGA),
  large for gestational age (LGA), and intrauterine growth retardation
  syndrome (IUGR) (really small for gestational age).
  - If you were seven week premature, you were born at 40-7= 33 weeks
  gestation. The surfactant that is needed to help your lungs stay open and
  lubricated is produced around 32 weeks gestation. So from this standpoint
  only needing incubation is possible.
  - The MRI for brains have improve vastly over the past few years. One
  idea for the cause of CP is white matter disease syndrome. Meaning that the
  nerves in the brain are not properly mylinated and thus are unable to
  transmit signals to the different muscles that they innervate.
  - As for the shaken baby syndrome. Many of the injuries mimic those found
  in children with traumatic brain injury. I think Pubmed would be a good
  resource or NINDS (national institute for neurological disability and
  stroke.)

I am not sure if I helped or not. These are my quick thoughts. Take care,
Greta