C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:41:03 -0500
I also agree with what's being said here.  When I was in school myself,
I was always included (mainstreamed as they called it at that time), but
however I also did an hour or two in the resource room (which was also a
self-contained classroom for some students), I went down there for
reading and spelling because they're my harder areas.  Now as an adult
and a voluntary disability consultant sometimes, I can honestly say that
my parents and educational team did the right thing by doing that with
me, instead of watching my reading and language skills fall behind, just
because they wanted to see me totally included.  Don't get me wrong
here, I like the "Inclusion" idea, but especially in my own case, that
wasn't totally the answer to the problem, especially with also having a
learning disability like I do.  I usually like to ask parents two
questions, with the understanding of answering question #1 before
thinking about question #2.  Question #1 is, what do you want to see
your child doing in 20-30 years from now?  Please don't say "the US
president", keep the answer realistically.  Question #2 is, how will you
accomplish whatever you said on question #1 (again being realistically
in thinking)?  I'm sure that my own parents faced the same questions
when I was littler, and they answered in the best way they knew how.

Good Luck,
Anthony