C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heather Beaudry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:47:05 +0000
Professionals at a good pain clinic do a lot of different things.  P.T.s and O.T.s can help you with more orthopedically correct ways of doing things so that you are less likely to inadvertently contribute to your pain.

The physicians will often work on medication issues -- many people who go to pain clinics with chronic pain are taking lots of medications that are no longer effective.  Through charting it is possible to get a better idea of pain patterns, which medications (if any) are effective and how to treat with medication.

Psychologists and counselors often work with people at pain clinics on pain management techniques -- mindfulness meditation, pacing, refocusing, etc.

Then there are often groups with other people who have pain.  It can be really helpful to hear their ideas of how they cope.

Most of the people I know who have gone to pain clinics (I am a psychologist) had severe, chronic back and/or neck pain or migraines.

Hope that helps,

Heather

From: ken barber <[log in to unmask]>