C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:33:17 -0400
Freeman Dyson is a Nobel-prize physicist who believes that there is
global warming but he disagrees about the validity of using standard
models.

This is from wikipedia:

Criticism of global warming studies

Dyson agrees with the general theory of anthropogenic global warming,
and has written

“One of the main causes of warming is the increase of carbon dioxide in
the atmosphere resulting from our burning of fossil fuels such as oil
and coal and natural gas.”

However, he has argued that existing simulation models of climate fail
to account for some important factors, and hence the results will
contain too much error to reliably predict future trends.

“The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very
good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the
oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the
chemistry and the biology of fields and farms and forests... ”

“As a scientist I do not have much faith in predictions. Science is
organized unpredictability. The best scientists like to arrange things
in an experiment to be as unpredictable as possible, and then they do
the experiment to see what will happen. You might say that if something
is predictable then it is not science. When I make predictions, I am
not speaking as a scientist. I am speaking as a story-teller, and my
predictions are science-fiction=2
0rather than science.”

He has also argued against the ostracisation of scientists who oppose
the Global warming consensus, stating that heretics have historically
been an important force in driving scientific progress.

“heretics who question the dogmas are needed... I am proud to be a
heretic. The world always needs heretics to challenge the prevailing
orthodoxies.”

He also believes that directing money towards fighting global poverty
and providing medical aid will bring greater benefits to society than
attempting to combat climate change.

“They take away money and attention from other problems that are much
more urgent and important. Poverty, infectious diseases,..”

Dyson was an early proponent of Carbon sequestration by plants by
planting gigantic areas of trees as long ago as 1976.  He revisited
this subject in 2007 where he asserted that the "fuss about global
warming is grossly exaggerated", having calculated that "the problem of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a problem of land management, not a
problem of meteorology." The failures of climate scientists to
understand this was due to his belief that "No computer model of
atmosphere and ocean can hope to predict the way we shall manage our
land."

Dyson has questioned the predictive value of current computational
models of climate change, urging instead more extensive use of local
observations.

“The good news is tha
t we are at last putting serious effort and money
into local observations. Local observations are laborious and slow, but
they are essential if we are ever to have an accurate picture of
climate. The bad news is that the climate models on which so much
effort is expended are unreliable because they still use fudge-factors
rather than physics to represent important things like evaporation and
convection, clouds and rainfall. Besides the general prevalence of
fudge-factors, the latest and biggest climate models have other defects
that make them unreliable. With one exception, they do not predict the
existence of El Niño. Since El Niño is a major feature of the observed
climate, any model that fails to predict it is clearly deficient. The
bad news does not mean that climate models are worthless. They are, as
Manabe said thirty years ago, essential tools for understanding
climate. They are not yet adequate tools for predicting climate.”

Dyson regards the term "global warming" as a misnomer, pointing out
that warming will not occur uniformly throughout the world, but will
instead be subject to regional variations:

“As a result of the burning of coal and oil, the driving of cars, and
other human activities, the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is
increasing at a rate of about half a percent per year. … The physical
effects of carbon dioxide are seen in changes of rainfall, cloudiness,
wind streng
th, and temperature, which are customarily lumped together
in the misleading phrase "global warming." This phrase is misleading
because the warming caused by the greenhouse effect of increased carbon
dioxide is not evenly distributed. In humid air, the effect of carbon
dioxide on the transport of heat by radiation is less important,
because it is outweighed by the much larger greenhouse effect of water
vapor. The effect of carbon dioxide is more important where the air is
dry, and air is usually dry only where it is cold. The warming mainly
occurs where air is cold and dry, mainly in the arctic rather than in
the tropics, mainly in winter rather than in summer, and mainly at
night rather than in daytime. The warming is real, but it is mostly
making cold places warmer rather than making hot places hotter. To
represent this local warming by a global average is misleading, because
the global average is only a fraction of a degree while the local
warming at high latitudes is much larger.”

Regarding political efforts to reduce the causes of climate change,
Dyson argues that other global problems should take priority.

“I'm not saying the warming doesn't cause problems, obviously it does.
Obviously we should be trying to understand it. I'm saying that the
problems are being grossly exaggerated. They take away money and
attention from other problems that are much more urgent and important.
Poverty, infectious
diseases, public education and public health. Not
to mention the preservation of living creatures on land and in the
oceans.”

------

In general, I agree with this.  I worked in a science job using
theoretical models for years.  the uncertainty is beyond belief.

however, there is definitely a problem with climate change due to the
use of chemicals.  but trying to PREDICT what global warming is going
to do in 50 or 100 years is of limited use.  we don't know.

for that reason, articles that say 'will there be a new ice age?'  that
is a similar issue.  prediction.  I don't agree with that either.

what I think we need to do is:

1) understand that the human use of chemicals is causing real problems.
  I'm not sure I agree with him that the issue is 'exaggerated' b/c I
have not studied it in detail.  we are definitely having a negative
impact on climate.

2) switch to nuclear energy as quickly and completely as possible.
that includes

3) figuring out how to dispose of nuclear waste.

imo, many global warming activists don't feel good about nuclear energy
use.  to me that is a shame.  the widespread use of nuclear power,
peacefully of course, to replace other energy sources, that is probably
THE most effective thing that can be done on a large scale.  and it
should start immediately.

things like recycling etc. help but using nuclear power
 would help far
more.

4) I agree that local observation is paramount.  it is often of very
little use to make worldwide generalizations b/c climate varies so
much.  you need to observe local conditions.

and

5) I also agree that global warming is not the environmental issue of
the age.  that is imo, the lack of drinkable water that we will be
facing, and the wars that are going to be fought over that unless we
figure out what to do about it.

take care,

Mary Katherine