C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kyle E Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:40:59 -0400
Elizabeth Hill Thiers wrote:
  Once you warm up the hand (and arm and shoulder) you can also do
> some weight bearing exercises on both upper extremities (your arm, shoulder
> and hand).  Try to work it into every day routines such as wiping up the
> counters and table tops (won't your wife be proud).  Give a good prolonged
> stretch and scrub those counter tops hard (need some to scrub come to my
> house).  It's why get those little ones up on bolsters and balls and on all
> fours.
> Is that clear or was I just rambling on after another 11 hour day of
> private practice?

Yep, that was pretty specific.  At my house, I'm the "laundry man" as I
wash, fold, iron (rarely) and put away all the clothes.  Yeah, I know
it's not weight-bearing, but manipulating the left hand kind of puts it
through its paces (can't easily fold clothes one-handed).  I did have a
tennis ball for a while that I'd squeeze, but every so often I'd get
this goofy spasm where my fingers wouldn't let go and the hand just
squeezed harder and harder.  Hurt like nobody's business!