C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:59:45 -0400
and i had no influnce what soever while she was in you home, i am real, you
have had no influlen at all on my son in the 12 years he was in my home.
that is my point. you were acting like a parent and you had the influence. i
am not equating giving birth or even conception with being a parent. people
outside the home do not have the influence that the adult inside the home
has, the one with the most influence is by default the one most responsible.

   i said nothing of being a paragon of virtue. i said i am responsible for
teaching my kids right from wrong. i'll not back off that. who else is most
responsible for them. i make plenty of mistakes with that responsibilty just
like i do with other responsibilities, but, i am not going to blame my
mistakes on somebody else. i am responsible. i accept that. if i make a
mistake, then it is my fault and not the neighbors fault, not the governers
fault. it is mine. i can't blame you. on the other hand if you make a
mistake in influncing your child, then you can't blame me. you can place
responsibility only on the person who can do something, not on another who
is not in a position to do something. i am in a position with my two of
being able to do the most, i am therefore, the one with the most
responsibility, what i do with that responsibility notwithstanding.
   lack of being willing to accept responsibility for our own actions is the
major problem that i see in this country. from our president on down, it is
pass the buck. i'll not do that. i am responsable for what i do in every
aspect of life, including being a good or bad parent.
   i am quite sympathetic to your past. but, you have became more. you did
not let it beat you. i admire that, but, it is you that was responsibale for
overcoming. you get the credit. it does not belong to me, it is your
accomplishment. also the fact that while that child you refered to was under
your influence she did all those good things you told us about is to your
credit. you were responsible the 2 years that she was in your home. it was
your influence, not mine.
   i will agree to disagree.