C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:03:27 EDT
Hi Bobby and All-

Now you might think that someone who knows as much about CP and related
issues as I do would know what a "spasm" is verses a "sprain/strain" or
something elce...well I know plenty of book theory so I can tell you all
about it in that mannor--(at least what I have learned from read many, many
books and papers, and I can plainly see spasticity as oppose to athetosis and
ataxia as well as other conditions in other people) but as far as being able
to tell you what I am physicaly feeling I realy can't because I do not have
refrence to judge a "spasm" or "sprain/strain" or "spasticity" and what the
defrence is.  I meen I know the physiology and deffinitions of those and the
anatomy of those but I don;t currently associate a defined physical feeling
with those.

What I am curently experencing is a pulling on the side (which has gotten
better in the past 2 days), to be anatomicaly correct it is more or a
dorsal-latteral location of my left hip/low back which occured after I had
been streching for a few days after I had experienced a similer sination
except with musculskelletal pain insted of just musscle pain (which is now
gone).  It feels just like streching --another term I have never been able to
grasp an accurate physical deffinition of---wich is amazing after 13 years of
PT and 8 years of PE!  For me streching has always hurt--I know it is not
spose to hurt; but, some how when a PT is always saying
further...further...further it always felt like pulling a rubber band almost
to the point of breaking and it always did hurt.

I know also that I do have more movement problems if I have not gotten enough
sleep or I am stressed and trying to do something quickly or to beet a
deadline...as Bobby mentioned.

What I am wondering is this yet another problem to be associated with ageing
and CP and I am overdoing and doing incorectly--and this is going to be a
contiuing problem; or maby it is just part of the CP packege from day one and
not related to aging; or maby it is not realted to CP at all because TAB's
(temporarly abel bodied) pull muscles all the time to...maby it is just one
of those things.

Yours,
Anee
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/CPIC.html

In a message dated 10/29/1999 9:45:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Anee,

         I, like Kyle, am no PT. But I am older. When you say "muscle pull"
 do you mean a strained or spasming muscle. If so, I have had quite a bit of
 experience with those. I no take Motrin, rather than any kind of
 prescription medicine(I keep a bottle of prescribed pills for emergencies).
 I got them when I had a bad cough which caused severe back spasms. My
 muscles seem to act up when I am under stress and/or am very tired from the
 lack of sleep.

 Bobby >>