C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 22:55:06 +0100
Trisha,

Many thanks to you and everyone else for educating me on the vagaries of the
US Tax system!!

It seems that your direct taxation is quite a bit lower, but indirect taxation
is probably higher (although when I was over there Sep 2001 many things
seemed marginally cheaper - economies of scale possibly).

In the UK there are very few "deductions" you can make on gross income.
Children receive a "Child Allowance" (£15 per week 1st child, £10 pw for
further children) which is paid direct to the Mum's. Although this is being
gradually phased out (hasn't kept pace with inflation for years). Every child
gets this, but its being replaced with a Chikd Tax Credit, but this is on a
sliding scale based on parental income.

I'm amazed you pay Sales tax on food. Over here Food, Childrens clothes and
books are exempt. (A perk for small adults, :-))

Cheers

Deri