C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
karen Nicholas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:39:55 -0500
-- [ From: karen Nicholas * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I have several problems with the press recently with the McCoys.  First of
all . . .in today's advances, parents should not be having more than twins.
The hospitals in Indianapolis have not produced more than twins in the last
year and a half.  Multiple births by "eggs" should not be happening.  2).
When a pre-mature child or multiple birth child is born they are referred
(in Indy) to the First Steps program immediately for evaluation.  They may
not give the child a label until they are over one years old, but the
services (OT, PT,) are begun immediately if their are any indications of CP
or delays.  These services are free until three years old.  Why are these
pediatricians waiting so long for therapy.  If they wait until two they are
not giving the children the chance to advance . . .which in turn causes
problems down the road.  For instance, my daughter was diagnosed at one
years old.  (They began the program in Indy due to my child), she could not
roll over.  The pediatrician said she would catch up.  (She was premature 16
weeks, yes 24 weeks gestation).  Well, Sydney began to roll over in three
days after therapy started.  Today she is 3 1/2 and now we are having so
many pelvic and back problems due to stiffness from not crawling the first
year.  I'm an advocate for early intervention.  I see children now with
early intervention have less problems in the toddler age . . .plus infant's
bodies react to physical therapy quicker at an earlier age.  When the
children in Houston were born, it made me sick to think what these people
may be going through in the next year.  I wish the pediatricians and
hospitals would get their "education" on premies and multiple births.
Lastly, hospitals poke at your children's feet for months when they are
premature, drawing blood ect.  My hospital was contacted when Sydney had so
much scar tissue built up on the bottom of her feet.  They now only poke on
the sides . . .They only see these children for days or months.  Informing
them of later developement problems will help with the future on children.
I love my hospital for changing their practices due to knowledge.  I just
wish the pediatricians were as easy to work with.  Now if we can get parents
knowledged on NOT going to fertility doctors that implant 8 eggs instead of
two.  Sorry so long . . .just wanted to vent.