C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:17:15 -0700
Linda,

My stroke was pretty significant (middle cerebral artery) on the right, and
resulted in paralysis of the left arm and leg, and weakness of my trunk and
neck and facial muscles.  The trunk, and facial muscles pretty much
recovered, but I've still got problems with my neck, due in part to needing
to hold up a size 8 1/4 head.  It happened during a brain surgery for
hydrocephalus (water on the brain) which is what caused my CP.  My dad is a
(now retired) general surgeon, and so he understood that it was something
that happens sometimes regardless of the best intentions of a doctor.

I carried a lot of animosity toward the neurosurgeon until about a year and
a half ago, when I had an MRI to see if there was another cause for my
increased spasticity.  My neurologist wanted to rule out MS, which he was
able to do when he saw the artifact of the stroke, and no sign of
demyelination indicating MS.  Up to that point, we hadn't been able to see
what caused the stroke, because the technology (or the medical need for an
MRI) wasn't there.  My neurologist's partner is a neurologist and also an
attorney, and has testified on both sides of malpractice cases in the past.

Since I was in high school when I had my stroke, and had dressed myself
since the age of 4 or so, I'm not too hot on the idea of accepting help
there, but if I fall anymore, I can't get up by myself, so it's inevitable
that I'll have to accept help at some point in the not too distant future.
If you want more info, email me off-list!

--

Kendall