C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:34:48 EST
Thanks for this info.  When did this happen?

How tragic, but this happens in a society where the family who has a child
with a disability is largely excluded and abandoned (which I'm automatically
assuming at this point, not being a total and complete moron, and after
having turned every cheek on this disabled body more times than I care to
remember in six or so years).

This needs to be a matter of public attention in the US too, with diligent
attention from the disability community to ensure accurate media reporting.
In fact, a push for the US media to carry this story might be indicated.  I'm
interested in seeing a community critique.  What did the community fail to do
that helped lead the family to this terrible decision?  How is it going to
prevent such a tragedy from occurring again to another family there?

Where on this planet is this kind of thing sure not to happen, because
children with disabilities are so welcomed in their communities?  Maybe
that's the place where it's not so important to push a public awareness about
this family's tragedy.

People don't want us but haven't the guts to kill us, so they have to get us
to kill ourselves.  Sometimes we do.

Before it's all over, the ABS contingent is really going to wish I had.