C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Oliver Gernand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 22:55:00 +0200
Hi all,

I have not written in a long time since my intro, so let me refresh....  :-)

We have a 18 months old son with CP. We just returned from a 4 week therapy at
the Petö institute in Budapest Hungary. It was very amazing and interesting
and challenging and I learned incredibly much about CP and various therapies.
I will send a detailed "report" later, knowing that some people on this list
are parents of yound babies diagnosed with CP and are wondering about various
therapies.

First of all, there is a school in London, that is basically ONLY for children
with movement disorders. The school is teaching exactly what is being taught
in any normal school, but does this following the Petö therapy. I think it can
be contacted via an organization called SCOPE. I will send a few URLs in the
next few days.

There was another mail about exercises and muscle training. According to Petö
it is NOT bad for your muscels to be challenged by an exercise. Also, there is
a very special therapy in Ukraine, which is done by one professor, it is the
so-called manual therapy. Some parents I met in Budapest had their kids go
through this, it is basically a series of special massages which will make all
stiffness go away for a few weeks, so that (for babies or young children)
"normal" movement can be trained better. Everyone I met who had their kid
there was VERY impressed. Drawback: 5000 USD for 2 weeks and it doesn't last
long, i.e. it should be repeated every 10 weeks.

All for now.....   Have a nice weekend all.   OG

P.S.: Did I mention that I had 380 mails in my mailbox after 4 weeks of
absence ? :-)