C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:33:41 -0400
Things are definitely slow.  I think there might be a flurry of vacations
going on before cold weather returns.

BTW, my Dad called and said that the 28th Marines are headed to the Gulf
this morning.  One of his buddies from Camp Lejune called and said they were
already loading up at dawn.  With what Cheney said about the "U.S. going it
alone" against Iraq yesterday, looks like we might start target practice on
Sadaam again.  Definitely makes me anxious.  If we were going to take him
out, Dubya's old man should have done it while we already had the resources
in "Indian Country".  Funny how every time we get in the financial doldrums
(ever since FDR) we start snapping caps.  I got a ba-a-a-a-d feeling about
this one.

I didn't feel that way until I started this new job.  Did you know the U.S.
only has a couple days' blood supply--and that's just for normal stuff?
We're almost a year out from 9/11, and we're not a whole lot better prepared
than before 9/11/2001.  Sure, there have been a lot of "looks good" things
happening, but no real "meat".

For example, when we came back from Canada it took about three hours to
cross the border.  The Border Patrol was stopping folks who must've fit some
sort of profile, because there were many vehicles (lots of R.V.s) pulled
over for inspection.  When we got to the gate, though, the guard asked a few
questions, looked in the car and saw a stereotypical American family and
flagged us on our way.

Now if I was a "smart" terrorist, I wouldn't try to cross the border
myself--that would be too obvious.  What would prevent me, though, from
looking for a car, with U.S. plates, driven by a "whitebread" guy like Kyle
and family.  I put a "device" in Kyle's rental car while he and his family
are shopping, etc., and away he goes across the border without so much as a
second glance by the Customs folks.  Lot's of people asked me if my "bags
were ever out of my sight" at the airport, but nobody asked me the same
thing about my car.

Point being that if someone was determined to create "terror" on the U.S.
mainland, it could still be done with ease.  Spooky stuff.

-Kyle