C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kyle E Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:08:47 -0500
My Kosovar Soapbox:

There are so many parallels between the Serbian/Albanian Kosovo conflict
and Vietnam that the situation truly goes beyond irony:

Both are areas of the world that have been in perpetual civil conflict
for centuries.  As Ken so eloquently stated, "I do not think that people
that have been fighting since the 14th century can be bombed into loving
each other."  One would have thought we had learned our lesson in
Somalia.

Outside interventions in civil wars rarely result in (lasting) peace.
Just ask the French who were involved in Indochina long before we were
ever on the scene.

Massive bombing campaigns have little effect on the squad-sized units
that are terrorizing the villes and hamlets (Remember LBJs attempts to
carpet-bomb the Ho Chi Minh trail?  Boy, wasn't that effective?).

U.S. combat involvement in Vietnam started with air sorties.  Ground
troops were initially there to serve only as "advisors" to ARVN (South
Vietnamese) troops.

Our involvement in Vietnam was initially to "contain" a local conflict
and keep it from spreading to the whole of Southeast Asia.

There were other "allied" troops arrayed against the North Vietnamese,
but the U.S. bore the brunt of combat duties.

These are just a few of the parallels.  I could continue ad nauseum.
The frightening thing about the Balkans conflict is the catch-22 of
ground troops:  To effectively stop the "ethnic-cleansing", rape and
torture by the Serbs (of which the KLA is equally guilty), ground
troops, in force, must be inserted into the theatre.  At that point the
Balkans become a quagmire of US and NATO involvement with no end in
sight--unless, of course, we proceed with our own "scorched earth"
policy and destroy the whole of Eastern Europe.

Another point:  If Mr. Clinton is so concerned about "genocide" in a
civil war, why Kosovo but not Rwanda?  Why Bosnia but not Sierra Leone?

To the Grand Poobah King Gimp:  The "war to end all wars" had its
geographic locus exactly at the same point our fighters and bombers are
now working.  An apocalyptic scenario is far more likely there than in
the Middle East.  Yes, there is much to be feared in this conflict.

-Kyle