C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:35:30 -0400
Hi list members,

this may take a little while to explain but here it goes.

I live in Northwestern Georgia about 16 miles away from Chattanooga
Tennessee.  I guess you could say I live far in the country.  I am not
eligible for SSI.  I am not rich but my parents have put aside some
money for me in the future  It is not much but it exceeds $2,000 the cut
off point for receiving SSI.

Since I am on summer vacation now, I have nothing to do and sit around
the house most of the time.  The county where I live (Dade County,
Georgia) does not have away of transporting me down to chattanooga, or
anywhere else I want to go.  My vocational rehabilitation counselor has
told me that if I were on SSI a neighboring county would transport me to
chattanooga. Thus being able to access public transport in Chattanooga.
This is causing me unhappiness (I believe it may be depression).
Because I see young adults going places having fun.  While I sit around
having no place to go trying my best to keep a positive attitude.  But
that has grown increasingly difficult for me.

I know my parents try there best.  They try to keep me as happy as
possible and take to as many places as possible.  But it is limited
because my parents are elderly and do not have the same interests as
me.  For example they like gardening.  I do not know a thing about
gardening thus I spend most of my time inside.  Don't get the wrong
impression.  If I need something I can can always yell for them or go to
them and they come and assist me in anyway they can.  I even talked to
my parents about getting a trained dog for me to have a companion.  But
they say it would be to much work for them.  It is just so fucking
(sorry) hard to keep a positive attitude.  Sometimes I wish I was not
educated.   Maybe then I would not realize what situation I am in.

Earlier tonight I had an emotional outburst at my parents over this
situation.  Which now makes me feel even worse.  I guess my question to
you all is:  How do you all handle this problem?  Or what is the correct
way to go about solving this?  I am sorry I didn't mean for this to turn
into a long list of problems.   It is just I don't know how to go about
solving them.  Any answers would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance,

Jan