C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:13:19 -0400
Kristina,

Any such story would be suspect in my book.  In 2000, my wife, Laura, and I decided to have the cord blood saved from our son's birth.  She was dx'd with leukemia early in her pregnancy.  At the time, cord blood stem cells were purported to be the source of cures for all sorts of congenital and perinatal ailments.  Weve since discovered that this idea was based on a lot of voodoo science and was being marketed heavily by "cord blood banks".  Since her leukemia is genetically-driven, we were led to believe that saving the cord blood would be the perfect insurance policy to protect our kids against this disease.  This simply isn't true.

There is no "cure" for CP.  Hyperbaric treatments, stem cell replacements and the like are pipe dreams and snake oil marketed to grieving and guilt-stricken parents.  As others on the list have noted (and all of these folks are "first-person" CP-ers, not parents), sh*t happens, as it were.  As a very wise man said a couple thousand years ago, "The rain falls on both good folks and bad."  As tragic as it may seem, having CP (or any other physical or mental challenge) can make your daughter, your family and yourself far stronger, much closer.  The silver linings are there.

Kyle