C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:59:55 +0100
On Friday 15 August 2008 00:26:58 Kendall D. Corbett wrote:
> Mike,
>
> First AAC device I ever saw (and helped put together was a laptop and
> Words+ software back in 1992 or 1993 for a client when I was working for an
> IL Center.  It worked well for her, but it was *heavy*!  Back then, laptops
> werighed more than 12 pounds, and the speaker for the Words+ added another
> couple of pounds.  The user was in a power chair with a tray and a vent, so
> weight wasn't that big an issue.  Now a LightWriter can do the same thing
> that did, and weighs about 1.5 pounds.

Hi Kendall,

First AAC device I "guinea pigged" was a "Possum". Back in 1969, you wheeled
it around on a trolley (but it had to be plugged in to the mains to use)!! No
CRT, just a light board with letters on a grid that lit up with a suck/blow
switch. You could switch the "mode" so that each grid square performed a
function instead (turn on light, open door, etc). Way cool for '69 all
controlled by banks of solenoids and analogue circuits. The monster cost
about 5 times the average yearly wage, so I was sorely tempted to say "I must
have it", but I found it slower than my single digit electric typing, so gave
it a thumbs down. The same firm is still in business "Possum Controls" and I
think they developed "Say It Sam" with Microsoft.

Cheers

Deri