C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patrick Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 08:02:28 -0700
Hi everyone:

At 11:48 AM 3/29/99 +0000, lawrence keplinger wrote:
>It is only a name, beside my friends gave it to me, because they haven't
>met too
>many other disabled people like and I haven't eather. but I'm not saying their
>are not other disabiled people  haven't been through the same shitt that I
>have.  it's just a cool name that I the trates for.

Lawrence, if you're "King Gimp" then I'm (heaven forbid) RETARDED (you can
just call me "Retardo") as neither "Gimp" NOR "Retarded" sound "cool" to
me.  Whoever gave you that so-called nickname clearly DO NOT consider YOU
as their "friend"....

I've met many able-bodied kids when I was young as many were friends of my
two younger brothers (who are able-bodied - and I'm only 32) and I've
**NEVER** had ANYONE call me "Gimp" or "Retarded" and get away with it for
very long.

I've had a few kids who *didn't* think of me as their friend call me those
names, but NEVER anyone who *did* think of me as their friend.

I hope this motivates you into retooling your thinking, Lawrence....

Patrick