C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:09:02 -0500
Betty,

        Back in graduate school in a course on social psychology, there was
a concept called a "demand quality". Basically, iit was something about a
person which "demanded" reaction from another person. I think we could
reframe Anee's neuropsychologist's report in the way. He interpreted a
large part of her behavior as a result of her disability. Her CP presented
such a demand quality to him, that he  interjected it into inappropriate
inferences and interpretations. One thing we have to realize is that many
professionals do not know much about our disabilities, but infer a whole
lot. Anee's pschiatrist framed his analysis in the light of her
family/social situation. The neuropsych. guy didn't. Basically, it boils
downs to is the pproblem in the person, or is it outside the person in the
social setting. Too many mental health people see the problem as being
within the person.

Bobby