C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:16:39 -0400
Right you are, Kat.  There's also state-sanctioned slavery in the Sudan.  We
Americans don't realize what a luxury is our right to "piss and moan" about
our lot.

Here in Ohio, we had a shoe factory, Rocky Boots, in a small southeastern OH
town.  A year ago, the board voted to move the manufacturing operations from
this little burg to a veritable sweatshop overseas.  Many jobs were lost and
the town suffered bigtime.  The factory overseas pays children pennies per
day to make these high-price boots--on very dangerous equipment designed for
adult hands.

My dilemma is this:  Do I boycott the company and insist that they shutdown
the overseas plant?  If they do that, will these children be "out" the only
chance at subsistence living they may have?  Your thoughts?

-Kyle

(BTW--as far as I can tell, the "surprise attack" was cancelled--haven't
heard a thing since this morning.)