C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:05:26 -0800
Thanks Kat I hope I can live up to that... ;->

Advocacy is like when people got fed up with not being able to ride their
wheelchairs on sidewalks because there were no curb ramps. So a whole lot
of us wrote letters, met with mayors and city councils,governors, senators
and said it  isn't fair, we can't go anywhere, we need accessible streets
and sidewalks.  That is political and societal advocacy.

Another kind of advocacy is the kind I hope to be teaching if I get the job
I'm aiming for. The other kind of advocacy is called self-advocacy, and
what that is like, is what we have all been trying to teach you, Kathy Jo.
It's where a person says, you know, I'd love to live in my own place, and
not have mom and dad breathing down my neck.  So then you would do  things
like learn to take care of your own   checkbook, and you would learn about
your legal rights to be in your own place, you would then learn which
agencies would be assisting you, you'd learn which groups wouhelp you fight
to have your own place.  You would be in charge of your own life, then you
would be a self-advocate.

~Tamar Mag Raine
IM: tamarmag48
Oakland Mayor's Commission on People with disabilities