C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:43:53 -0400
Unfortunately, Kat and Mag, you bring up the problem of teachers who are
really just there to earn a living and don't get to know their students.
That is quite a frustrating fact for me as I value knowing all of the little
things each of my students can do, the things they still need to master,
their likes, dislike, homelife etc.  That takes a lot of extra time and
energy, but I couldn't teach any other way!  It is frustrating sometimes
when I see other teachers leaving just after the kids do with nothing in
their bags and I stay every night until 5:30 or 6 (at the earliest) and take
work home every night including weekends and I make the same salary they do.
Of course, I get paid in different ways -- the parent comments, the hugs,
cards and notes from kids, visits from former students etc.  There is
definitely more rewarding things about teaching besides the paycheck!

Linda