C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:49:29 -0400
Hello,

I've been wanting to ask this for a while.

I subscribe to a mix of the social model and the medical model.  That
is, while disability itself caused me a lot of problems, living with it
in this US culture (that is not intended to be a political statement) -
that caused me as many problems, if not more.

my biggest frustrations:

1.  money.  I am better off than a lot of people b/c I have a
supportive husband and managed to hold onto a part-time job.  My
biggest CP issues are actually ataxia-related, including sensory and
mood disturbances.  That was also related to a trauma history that I
have dealt with to a large degree :)

basically, I could handle physical impairment and then severe mental
illness set in after 9/11, and I had a very difficult time handling
BOTH the CP stuff and the mood disorder stuff.

the need to self-pay for a lot of treatment and assistive devices, both
physical and mental, made this worse.

2.  the assumption that if one cannot maintain consistent performance,
you are a slacker and should be kicked out of 'normal' society.

Pain and weakness made it difficult for me to perform every day. This
is something I am still working on.

3.  side effects of medications for physical conditions and mental
illness.  This resulted in one hospitalization.

now, rewards:

1.  I have gotten very realistic about what I like and don't like, and
what I can do and not do.  Of course like everyone else, I spend a lot
of time doing things I don't like or love :), but I don't get into a
status 'game' just because.

2.  the loss of fear of old age.  so I will have diminishing capacity.
I mean I have learned to plan for this.

I hear a LOT of people complain about old age.  I have to bite my
tongue, assuming they are not disabled, b/c I want to say

'this means you will be more like me.'

'I have advice I can give you that I've worked out from decades of
experience.'

'you know you might want to try.'

I have learned most people are not willing to accept these suggestions.

I understand a lot of people with CP get hit with aging issues earlier.
  I have noticed this as well.  That's not the type of thing I mean,
where people are in pain, etc. and dealing with it.

I'm talking more about the FEAR of old age by people who just really
don't want to accept that they are going to slow down, that this is
human nature.

3.  acceptance from some very famous people.

I am nobody special but I had some support from a few famous scientists
and other people, back in the day.  Like Carl Sagan.  I was interested
in science as a teenager (I have a degree in physics) and was pushed to
talk to Sagan really against my FIRM conviction that he would NEVER
talk to someone like me.

and I found out from talking to him and a few other people, that many
very famous people, not all of them but a lot of them, in many
different fields, they are motivated to work hard and become famous b/c
they have relatives/other loved ones with disability and they see,
early, the effects of health care and other neglect.

he did not say if that was true for him or not.  he said though that
famous people tend to talk to each other, b/c it's an unusual
experience being famous and they are often curious about what motivated
other people to do that kind of work.  this is assuming people achieve
fame based on "real" accomplishments and not just recording a song or
two, or doing something else where they really are not putting in
effort.

and he said that meant that the indifference that many people show to
the problems of the disabled (as he put it) is very often not shared by
the highest experts or the most famous people in any field.  Now anyone
can be a jerk but the 'success rate' with an expert is likely to be
higher than with a successful professional who is as invested.

two examples are:

E. Fuller Torrey, who has been called the most influential psychiatrist
in America.  his sister developed schizophrenia at a young age.

and

forget their names but.  the founders of United Cerebral Palsy, whose
daughter had/has CP.  IIRC, the father and maybe both parents were very
well known in the movie industry.

Carl Sagan told me that many famous people feel a connection to people
with disabilities for that reason and they view it as a PERSONAL
victory when someone who is disabled manages to accomplish things that
are meaningful *to us*.  not things that the culture values
necessarily, like walking or tying our shoes :), but what we want and
what we value.  Like getting a good education.

he also told me that the 'inspirational' 'you have to save the world or
touch a lot of people to make up for being disabled' view, that a lot
of 'regular' people hold, is not something that accomplished people
tend to support.  they see the lack of logic in asking people to 'make
up for' something.

I talked to Carl Sagan a few times when I was a teenager which was over
20 years ago.  He talked to a lot of people who were not traditional
scientists or science students.  He provided a lot of motivation for me
to get a degree in physics.

and I have to say there is a certain "physics prestige" where people
(incorrectly) assume I'm smart b/c I studied physics :) - that has
helped me stay employed.

thanks

Mary Katherine